Cooktop Cove: Here's how you make apple pie from scratch (+7 other homemade pies)
Is there anything more scrumptious than a made-from-scratch homemade pie? There's nothing better than a flaky pie crust filled with your favorite pie filling, is there?
Use these 3 tips to make your next homemade pie crust taste like grandmas:
• A great pie begins with a great crust. Use your fingers to cut the butter into the flour for your crust. This will help the dough mix better. You can even taste the raw dough, as long as it doesn’t have eggs in it. You’ll know if the consistency and taste are right and if you need any adjustments.
• Place your pie dough between two sheets of lightly floured sheets of parchment paper to roll out the dough. Start from the center to the edge, rotating a quarter turn after each roll. This will help to make a rounded and even crust.
• Coat fruit with sugar or a light flour coating and allow it to sit for half an hour to drain the excess juices. This will allow the taste of your fruit to come through and prevent your pie from getting soggy.
Now, let's look at 8 homemade pies you can make from scratch and put these tips into practice.
1. Best apple pie recipe ever (h/t Melanie Cooks)
This blogger boasts that her apple pie is the “king of all apple pies” and I can see why! If you enjoy a flaky homemade crusty and a subtly sweetened cinnamon apple filling, this is the pie for you!
2. Homemade blueberry pie (h/t Inspired Taste)
This homemade blueberry pie is everything a made-from-scratch pie should be. The lattice topping is so pretty and easier than you might think to accomplish. Lemon zest zing, allspice, and cinnamon come together to lend a fresh, tantalizing flavor. You can use frozen or fresh blueberries!
3. Chicken pot pie (h/t Two Peas and Their Pod)
So, I thought I’d throw a savory pie into the mix because who doesn’t love chicken pot pie? This one’s a winner all the way. When you want real comfort food, it hits the spot. Use rotisserie chicken to take some of the labor out of it.
4. Homemade lemon meringue pie (h/t Rock Recipes)
This old-fashioned lemon meringue pie rocks! It’s so delicious and gorgeous, you may think it an impossible feat. But, it isn’t. When I had my bakery, I loved getting orders for lemon meringue pie because it was one of my easiest homemade concoctions. Minced lemon zest in this recipe turns this lemon-lover’s pie into something extraordinary.
5. Chocolate crack pie (h/t The Kitchen is my Playground)
Chocolate lovers, I got you covered! This chocolate crack pie is to die for! It’s like a brownie in a crust. Admittedly, this recipe allows you to cheat a little and use a store-bought crust.
6. No-bake peanut butter cup pie (h/t Crazy for Crust)
When you realize life is fleeting anyway and you just gotta break all the rules, there’s always this no-bake peanut butter cup pie. You can use Nutter Butter, Oreo, or graham crackers to make the crust for this pie and the filling is part cheesecake, part peanut butter and chocolate. What more could you want?
7. Healthy sweet potato pie (h/t Chocolate Covered Katie)
If you’re trying to keep a healthier new year’s resolution, this sweet potato pie might fit right in. It’s lighter and much healthier than your standard pie fare.
8. How to make homemade apple pie from scratch(h/t Joanie Simon)
Because we can't have too many apple pie recipes, plus, it's fun to follow along with the videos.
Copyright 2016 Cooktop Cove